Gunman in Galleria shooting says he had no plan to hurt anyone

A gunman who opened fire in the Galleria mall in California Sunday morning told investigators he had planned to kill at least five people, officials said.

The gunman told investigators that he and several other people were “frightened” after a gunfight broke out outside the mall, officials with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said Monday.

The man, identified by law enforcement as 26-year-old Michael Thomas DeLeon, was found dead by officers shortly after 1 a.m. at a parking lot across the street from the mall in the city of West Covina, officials added.

The man had been shot in the leg, officials told NBC News.

The shooting is the latest mass shooting to hit California, where at least eight people have been killed in the past week.

The state’s deadliest mass shooting took place in a shopping mall in 2009.

The Los Angeles Times reports that DeLeon was charged with first-degree murder and attempted murder.

He has not been identified, and his family has been unable to speak with reporters.