Las Vegas, Nevada – Authorities said a man armed with an AR-15 assault rifle opened fire inside a mall in Las Vegas on Sunday morning, killing three people and wounding several others before he was shot dead by police.
The shooting occurred in the Las Vegas area near the Mandalay Bay hotel and casino.
Authorities have not released a motive for the attack, but local media reports said it was likely related to the November 2017 massacre at a popular music festival in Las Villas that left 58 dead and hundreds injured.
Authorities in Las Vegas said they had received a tip that a man had been in the area of the mall and that he had a firearm.
“I can confirm that the individual in question was seen in the vicinity of the Mall of America on Sunday, December 2, 2017, firing a firearm at multiple people in the mall,” Las Vegs police chief Robert Smith said in a statement.
Police also said that the suspect was shot and wounded by officers.
Smith said officers were called to the scene shortly before 11:15 a.m.
(12:15 p.m., GMT) when they found a man suffering from a gunshot wound.
“At this time, it appears the individual acted alone and we believe this is a random act,” Smith said.
“He was transported to a local hospital where he later died from his injuries.”
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Sgt. Chris Harris said officers responded to a call at the mall just before 11 a.ms.
(06:00 GMT) on Sunday and found a male with a gunshot injury in the parking lot.
Harris said the man was taken to a hospital and was in critical condition, but was expected to survive.
The mall was evacuated for the incident.
Authorities did not release the names of the victims.
“We’re still looking for answers, but we’re not going to comment on any potential motive at this time,” Smith told reporters.
Police did not immediately release information about the suspect’s name or the circumstances of his shooting.
Smith told reporters that officers were also investigating whether the gunman was armed with a weapon.
“He was seen with a firearm in the park at the time,” he said.
Las Vegas police said they were investigating whether anyone was injured.
Police said the shooting happened about 1:00 a.mm. local time (04:00 local time, 09:00 EST) at the Mandalaya Center shopping mall, where people were gathered for a Halloween costume party.
A witness told local media that the shooter approached a group of people in a car, opened fire and fired a barrage of shots.
“The shooter is dead, he was taken down,” he told CNN affiliate KTVL.
“This guy was just walking around with a rifle in his hand and then he started shooting.”
Smith told local TV that the gunman did not appear to be armed with any kind of weapon and was not wearing a mask.
“This was just a crazy, chaotic situation,” he added.
“It’s just crazy, and we are not really in a position to comment right now on what was going on,” Smith added.
He did not specify the type of weapon.
The Las Vegas Metropolitan police department has not released the names or the age of the shooter.
“Right now we don’t know if this is related to any other incident that has occurred in Las Vega,” Smith continued.
“We’re in the process of looking into that.”
A witness posted on Facebook that he saw “two or three people on the ground and a few people on top of each other, bleeding, all of a sudden this man started running towards them.”
He said the woman who was injured ran over to him and that they all tried to help each other.
“I ran up to her and I started yelling, ‘Get away from him, get away from this guy,'” the witness told CNN.
The shooting happened in the heart of Las Vegas’ tourist district, one of the city’s most popular tourist destinations.
The city’s largest shopping mall has long been home to some of the world’s most famous people and it attracts about 3 million visitors each year.