A gunman opened fire on police on Sunday in Nova Scotia’s capital, killing two officers and injuring five others before he was shot dead by a second officer, the latest in a string of mass killings in the country.
The shooting on the city’s main street of Dartmouth, which has been under lockdown since Monday, has shaken the country and raised questions about whether the country can be as safe as it claims to be.
The police were responding to reports of an armed man, and the police chief described it as a “random act of violence”.
The shooting in the city of Dartmouth on Sunday comes a day after a gunman opened fired on a group of police officers in the French Quarter of New Orleans, killing five people and wounding eight others.
The officer who fired the fatal shot, William Smith, has been placed on paid administrative leave.
It was unclear whether Smith was shot at the time.
The gunman, who has not been identified, was shot by a third officer, who was also shot in the arm.
Police said the gunman opened his vehicle and started shooting in what appeared to be a random attack.
He then drove his car at officers before firing at them.
A woman and a man were also shot.
A third officer was taken to hospital, where he was in a stable condition.
A police helicopter was also used to search for the suspect, but police said they did not find any evidence of a motive.
The incident came after another man who police described as a white male who had a “long criminal history” shot dead two people on the street in the Quebec City suburb of Montreal, in the deadliest mass shooting in Canada since the death of a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan in 2007.
It has also been linked to a recent attack on a police officer in the southwestern city of Montreal that left three people dead and six wounded.
The latest incident came days after another attack on police officers on New Year’s Eve in a northern Quebec town.
Police found the body of a man they believe was killed in a shooting at a home in the town of Vaudreuil-la-Chaudière, according to the local prosecutor’s office.
The attack in Vaudres-la, where the suspect was killed, was claimed by an Algerian militant group.
Authorities said they believed the Algerian man was the gunman behind a shooting in Montreal earlier in the year that left a police investigator dead and wounded another man.
Police believe a gunman in Vauxhall, near the Quebec border, killed four people in a gun attack that left five others wounded.
In Quebec City, authorities said two people were killed and six were injured when a vehicle ploughed into pedestrians on the Promenade des Anglais in the centre of the capital, Quebec City.
Authorities have not said if the driver of the vehicle is a suspect.
In Montreal, an attack on two women was reported in the eastern suburb of Mont-Royal on Sunday morning, the most serious incident to occur on French soil since the deadly rampage in Quebec City last week.
Two other women were also injured in a similar incident.
The three injured women were being treated at hospital in Montreal.
Montreal police said on Twitter that the suspect in the attack was shot and was in custody.
Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre condemned the shooting and urged residents to stay home on Sunday.
“It’s not good for our city to be under attack,” he said.
Police also shot and killed another man on Sunday afternoon in a robbery in Saint-Laurent, north of Quebec City in the province’s westernmost borough of Montreal.
Police have said that the man, who they believe is a gang member, opened fire at officers after they responded to a call of a robbery.
The suspect, who is believed to be in his 20s, was also killed by police.
Police had previously said they were hunting for the gunman.